This is a quick, healthy and delicious soup for winter. It is from Jamie Oliver's 'Naked Chef', but adapted for what I actually do. This makes about 5-6 portions.
1 1/2 19 fl oz cans of chickpeas
1 large potato, peeled
5 large leeks
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
salt and fresh ground black pepper
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
grated parmesan cheese (optional)
extra-virgin olive oil (optional)
1. Chop the potato into small-ish chunks and steam the in the micowave or parboil it for 5 minutes.
2. Remove tough outer skin of leeks, slice lengthways and wash carefully. Slice finely.
3. Warm a thick bottomed pan, and add the oil and butter. Add the leeks and garlic to the pan and cook gently with a good pinch of salt until tender and sweet.
4. Add the chickpeas and cooked potato and cook for 1 minute.
5. Add 2 cups of the stock, season to taste and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Let cool a little. Blend in blender or food processor if desired (the soup can be left as a chunky soup). Add enough remaining stock to acheive the consistency you like.
7. Check seasonings, and add parmesan if desired. Can also be served with a drizzle of olive oil on top too.
If you are freezing the soup it's best to do it before you add the parmesan.