- 4 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 package firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 head iceberg lettuce leaves, separated
1. In a saucepan combine the water and rice. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, until water is absorbed. Set aside and keep warm.
2. While rice is cooking, heat oil in a large wok over medium-high heat. Stir fry the ground chicken, green onions, and garlic for 5 to 7 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the tofu, carrot, hoisin and soy sauce, stirring frequently until heated through. Remove from heat, and stir in the red chili flakes.
3. Add cooked rice to the stir fry mixture in the wok, mix well.
4. To serve: spoon a small amount of the rice and stir fry mixture into a lettuce leaf, wrapping the lettuce leaf (like a tortilla) to enclose the filling.
Notes: some enjoy drizzling extra hoisin sauce or soy sauce onto the mixture before closing the lettuce leaf. MAKES EIGHT SERVINGS.