1 cup dried apricots
3 cups water
1 cup sugar
2 cups fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons Cognac.
1. In a heavy saucepan, combine the apricots and 1 1/2 cups water. Simmer uncovered until the apricots are very soft and most of the water has evaporated, about 20 minutes. Watch carefully so they do not scorch.
2. Make a sugar syrup by boiling the sugar with 1 1/2 cups water for about eight minutes or until a candy thermometer registers 215 degrees. Mix the sugar syrup with the apricot puree.
3. Puree together apricots & sugar syrup in a blender or food processor.
4. Add orange juice and Cognac to the puree. Refrigerate until well-chilled.
5. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions or in a pan in the freezer. If freezing without a machine, stir the mixture as it hardens from time to time.Yield: 1 quart.