1 medium onion, chopped finely
1 small carrot, chopped finely
Splash of olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk, room temperature
1/2 pound chopped frozen or fresh broccoli
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 pound of cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in soup pot on medium low heat.
2. Add onion, carrot, and salt. Saute until onions and carrots are soft.
3. In separate pot, melt butter on medium low heat.
4. Add flour to melted butter a bit at a time. Mix well to prevent lumps.
5. Cook flour and butter mixture for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
6. Slowly add milk to flour and butter, mixing thoroughly as you go to remove lumps.
7. When all the milk is added, return it to the heat, and gently warm it up.
8. When the milk, butter and flour mixture (white sauce) is hot, begin to add the cheese a bit at a time. Allow it to melt in before adding more.
9. When onions and carrots are done cooking, add chicken stock and broccoli. Turn up heat to medium-high.
10. Slowly add the cheese sauce to the soup, mixing thoroughly as you do so to avoid lumps. (If you can't tell, I don't likelumps!)
11. Add pepper, and more salt if necessary.